Strategic Objective: Secure significant reduction of violent conflict in ASALs.
- Ensure inclusion and participation of ASAL-dwelling communities in local and national decision making
- Make relevant linkages in policy development and practice between customary and modern governance systems
- Promote affirmative action and equitable allocation of national resources for development of ASALs
- Ensure equitable access to environmental and natural resources
- Mainstream peace and security challenges in the ASAL areas into broader national, regional and global development agenda
- Support research and human capital development for peace and good governance
- Build local, national and regional capacities for conflict resolution, mediation mechanisms, peace building and effective ASALs resource utilisation.
- Ensure equitable gender involvement and participation in conflict prevention, resolution and peace building
- Mainstream and support gender equality and human rights-based approach in livelihoods support and access basic social services
- Strengthen IGAD and Member State institutions that work to prevent, manage and resolve violent conflict.
Priority Intervention Areas (PIAs)
- Priority Intervention Areas (PIAs)
- PIA 1: Natural resources and environment management
- PIA 2: Market Access, Trade and Financial Services
- PIA 3: Livelihood Support and Basic Social services
- PIA 4: Disaster Risk Management, Preparedness and Effective Response
- PIA 5:Research, Knowledge Management and Technology Transfer
- PIA 6: Conflict Prevention, Resolution and Peace Building
- PIA 7: Coordination, Institutional Strengthening and Partnerships