Strategic Objective: Promote equitable and significant Disaster Risk Management, Preparedness and Effective Response in the IGAD region.
- Developing early warning and response systems for effective climate and drought resilience building and management systems
- Integration of drought disaster resilience building in the implementation of disaster preparedness, response and recovery programmes in IGAD region.
- Mainstream drought disaster resilience building as a local, national and regional priority with an enabling policy environment and a strong institutional basis for implementation.
- Support member states and regional institutions identify, assess and monitor drought disaster risks and enhance early warning on ongoing basis.
- Enhance use of education, knowledge, innovation, science and technology to build a culture of safety and drought disaster resilience at all levels.
- Strengthen drought disaster risk preparedness for effective response at all levels.
- Reduce underlying disaster risk factors while up-scaling drought disaster resilience enhancing and building factors.
- Adopt multi-sectoral, inter-disciplinary and multi-hazard response approach to drought disasters (saving lives and improving quality of life).
- Developmental relief programming.
Priority Intervention Areas (PIAs)
- Priority Intervention Areas (PIAs)
- PIA 1: Natural resources and environment management
- PIA 2: Market Access, Trade and Financial Services
- PIA 3: Livelihood Support and Basic Social services
- PIA 4: Disaster Risk Management, Preparedness and Effective Response
- PIA 5:Research, Knowledge Management and Technology Transfer
- PIA 6: Conflict Prevention, Resolution and Peace Building
- PIA 7: Coordination, Institutional Strengthening and Partnerships